Inspired reads for walkers
There is a ton of literature about walking, and I have only touched the surface. I think reading about others’ experiences and journeys can be inspiring. Sometimes we all need a little help. When we can’t be bothered and have lost our mojo.
Below I have listed some recommended reading, essentially books with reference to walking.
Get out there and explore a little.
I have included a list of inspiring reads, for walkers. some are simply guidebooks to dip in and out of. Others have biographical content or a story about someone who one day just goes off on a very long walk!
Walk more, may sound a bit banal, but it can be fascinating walking about, you never really know what or who you might come across.
I recommend the next time you walk anywhere, yes even the shops; try taking a different route and get curious you will soon get the bug.
I have read and enjoyed, all of these books that are related to walking in some way.
Top of my list has to be:
The unlikely pilgrimage of Harold Fry
A fantastic story, that can’t fail to inspire you.
Cheryl Strayed’s’ biography Wild, biography a fascinating read.
It really opened my eyes to how vast America is and some of the landscape she covered. She was so brave and how she managed to walk so far I don’t know. I’ m sure she will agree, she had some serious soul-searching to do, and at the time that was what pushed her.
Other books are more guides to give you a sense of how many walks, are available out there, as well as how diverse walking can be.
From: urban guided walks, to canal walks, & river walks long walks in the country, themed walks, or historical guided tours. There are thousands of options. No matter where you live. I would recommend joining a walking group at first. If you have a friend who likes walking even better, otherwise check out the Ramblers website and just get out there.
- The unlikely pilgrimage of Harold Fry- Rachel Joyce
- Strayed Cheryl Wild
- Walking London’s Waterways Gilly Cameron Cooper
- London Walks, On Foot Guides Celia Wolfram
- Walking Haunted London original walks exploring London’s Ghostly past Richard Jones
- London Pub Walks campaign for real ale Bob Steel
- Kent Walks Pathfinder guide Jarrold publishing
- Walk Britain Great Views The Ramblers Top 50 Walking routes to Britain’s finest views. (available to all members)
- Ramble On The story of our love for walking Britain, by Sinclair McKay.